Skip to main content

It's not always rainbows and butterflies

It's been awhile. So many things have changed in my life over the last few years. I have made a complete 180 in my career and am now a high school business teacher. To say I love it is an understatement. I should have listened to that voice in my head years ago to make the leap. Sometimes it just takes the right push, I suppose. I will write about that adventure soon. 😊

This week was Valentine's Day. A day for those to remind that special someone in their life just how much they mean to them. (Let's be real, we should all be showing those we love how special they are to us a lot more than just this "extra" day. Am I right?) I have mixed emotions about this day for many reasons. Sometimes I feel excitement, during other times I am frustrated due to where I thought I would be at this point in my life and I am not quite there, and then there is heartbreak. The kind of gut-wrenching, hit you in the stomach, can't breathe because you are crying too hard kind of heartbreak. This is due to losing my mom around this time nine years eight years ago. 

You see, we lost her on February 24th in the middle of the night. Looking back on that time, what I had not realized what would be some of the lasts for me and my mom. At the time, I was working as a temp at an advertising agency. On February 14th, 2011 I received an offer from that company to become full-time. I was wildly excited and was so proud that I was moving into this new career and really working hard to prove myself. Fast forward eight years to this past Valentine's day when I am driving home from work at 7:30pm and my conversation that I had with my mom about my new offer came swimming back like it had happened yesterday. I instantaneously began to cry. It had just dawned on me that was the last conversation I had where my mom was truly coherent enough to understand and respond to everything I was telling her. 

I will never be able to forget that time in my life. I lost my mom. My best friend. My confidant. The woman who I looked up to for everything. For me, Valentine's day will always be tough because my story is different, but I do my best to try and spread a little extra love that day. Not because of the "holiday", but because you just really never know what someone else is going through. This year I chose to stay late and make phone calls to the parents of a few of my students to let them know how great their child was doing in my class, how I was proud of them for one reason or another, or just to let them know that they have an awesome kid. While I may not be able to celebrate that day with my mom anymore, I sure can share the love that she always shared with me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some fun in the Kitchen!

I love to bake! However, being single, you don't have a lot of reasons to bake. I mean, for me to eat all of it (which I definitely don't like to do) would take a whole week, if not longer and then things go bad before you can finish it. But I decided to bake anyway! I made some Banana Bread, but tweaked the recipe a little and some sugar cookies. Both turned out great!  I added some blueberry pie filling that I had leftover to the banana bread.  I feel like I don't hear of a lot of banana and blueberry mixes, but it's actually quite good!  I think it turned out better with the pie filling instead of real blueberries, although it's not as healthy :) Off to another adventure...  

Deuces

Ok.... seriously. Look at that face. How do you not just want to love it? 

My unbelievably beautiful nephew~

Isn't he amazing?!? I don't think I could love him any more, even if he were my own. I am truly amazed by what God can do... How can you not be?